Nick: could you do me a favor?  After all the input, could you sorta play
"scenarios" or "prototypes"?

These are common design practices that take an idea and actually mock it
up.  Scenarios include "workflow" .. i.e. how the design is used on a
daily, weekly, and archive basis.  Prototypes are a crude model of the
design.  The Treo .. the first widespread PDA, started out life as blocks
of wood of various sizes carried around .. in pockets, purses, hands etc ..
to determine the appropriate size and form factor.  It included paper for
"writing" (leading to Graffiti, the first touch writing trick) and "memory"
(the paper wound around the block of wood.

Designers think that way and have huge success.

I think you're on to something but it has to be taken out of the idea realm
into the tangible to make the next step.

BTW: Fabio once said that much of the stuff on Friam should be a blog.  And
a very early "electronic community", The Well, actually published some of
their stuff.

   -- Owen