Owen Densmore wrote at 02/16/2013 09:34 AM:
> I don't want to be flame bait (oh well, maybe i do) .. I posted this on
> your blog post:
>
>     I'm surprised anyone buys android phones at all. They're stuck
>     between a rock and a hard place: If they buy from Google they have
>     your well articulated problems.
>
>     But if they get another handset mfgrs phone, they get no updates ..
>     as far as I know most give you the vanilla android+their device's
>     drivers with little to no upgrades over time.
>
>     cyanogenmod? Er.. sorta proves the point!

Heh, classic trolling!  I love bait ... you just don't get that tame
domestic flavor from the gamey meat you find in the wild.

I've been quite happy with my Google Nexus, made by Samsung.  And I was
previously satsified, approaching, though not achieving happiness with
my Motorola Droid 2 Global.  I used Verizon stock, Liberty ROM, and
Cyanogenmod on my D2G.  I've used Google stock, Cyanogenmod and AOKP on
my Gnex.

In the process of all this, I've learned quite a bit about linux and
Java, and some tiny bits about odd things like phone radios, wifi, GUI
real estate, lcd and oled displays, etc.  When we were developing our
iPhone app, I learned a tiny bit about the way apple manages/exposes its
development APIs ... and a WHOLE LOT about the fascist control they
wanted to establish/preserve over the iphone market. [grin]

So, I can certainly see why someone would want to buy either the iPhone
or an android phone.  You can learn from either device.