On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 02:53:37PM -0800, glen e. p. ropella wrote:
> Owen Densmore wrote at 02/18/2013 02:15 PM:
> > Can you share the details of upgrading android without help from Google?
> >  .. could most customers do this?
>

> The biggest problem is _fear_.  The ROM makers pepper their sites with
> disclaimers ... it's not their fault if you break your phone.  But if
> you're wealthy enough to buy one of these damned things, then you're
> wealthy enough to buy another one after you break the first one.  If you
> can't buy at least 2 of them, don't bother buying one of them.  Stay in
> the hell created by the corporations that rule our world.

Very sage. You have to decide whether you need the latest
functionality, in which case you should be prepared to pay for
replacements should things "brick". I can see anyone on the business
of developing phone apps would want to do this sort of thing.

Otherwise, you could just simply treat the phone as a tool, and live
well behind the bleeding edge. Its a cheaper option, but only if the
latest and greatest is not important.

So I'm on Donut (1.6). Its a 2 year old phone running a 3 year old
operating system. Shucks - my laptop also does that, but I am
considering updating the OS on that. I just need to schedule a week or
so when I cope with the inevitable breakages that occur from an OS
upgrade, but past practice has been to upgrade my computer OS every 18
months to 2 years.

I was planning on doing an Android upgrade of my mobile phone when my
plan expired, and I was due for a new model. That way, I could get the
experience, without the pain if I ended up bricking it. Unfortunately, my telco
requires me to change plans to get the new phone, so even though my
plan has expired, so it is not time to upgrade the hardware :(. It'll
probably be a matter of the telco prising my plan from my cold, dead
fingers :). As they did with CDMA, when CDMA was switched off in Australia.

Cheers

* The telco in question is "Vodafone", who either bought, or merged my
  old telco, "Three". Currently they're honouring the plans of existing
  Three customers, but not offering equivalent plans for new
  customers. It is not viable to jump to another telco - the others
  cost about double for the same thing.

Principal, High Performance Coders