How about a craftsman or artisan that understands the engineering principles of
what they craft?  Too many craftsmen I've met don't know why they do things a
certain way - that's just the way they were taught to do it.  I can think of
two people I'd like to have with me in case of a major catastrophe - one is a
rocket scientist who crafted a museum quality (as in museums have offered to
buy it) astrolabe, sews costumes from eye (not patterns), and makes water
balloon catapults.  The other is a carpenter and builder who restores old (as
in 1000 year) buildings on the Isle of Jersey.  Oddly enough, both are members
of the Society for Creative Anachronism - which might be another pre-req for
surviving a major catastrophe.

Ray Parks
Consilient Heuristician/IDART Program Manager
V: 505-844-4024  M: 505-238-9359  P: 505-951-6084
NIPR: rcpa...@sandia.gov
SIPR: rcpar...@sandia.doe.sgov.gov (send NIPR reminder)
JWICS: dopa...@doe.ic.gov (send NIPR reminder)