FWIW, I like Mercurial as a version control system. It can be entirely local or
distributed, but there is no unique master repository. The commands are very
similar to Git. Whenever I have something that benefits from saving previous
versions, I create a Mercurial repository in the directory, or base directory,
that contains the 'something'.

We expect to make it an optional part of our software, with the repository for
a document inside the document itself. That way, a (fat version) of a document
file would contain not only the text, images, videos, etc. of the document, but
also its full history. (There would of course be a skinny version with the
historical record removed.) If you have the file, you have its complete
history. If you lose the file, well, that's what backups are for.

--Barry