The problem isn't really looping vs stopping; it's searching vs. finding.
Searching might be expressed iteratively (as a loop) or recursively. But
what the program is really doing is looking for an element that satisfies
some criterion. In many cases, it's not known in advance whether one
exists. The only way to find one is to search sequentially through the
space of possibilities, which may be infinite.  If there is no element that
satisfies the criterion, the search never ends, and the program never stops.

*-- Russ Abbott*
***  Professor, Computer Science*
*  California State University, Los Angeles*

*  My paper on how the Fed can fix the economy: ssrn.com/abstract=1977688*
*  Google voice: 747-*999-5105
  Google+: plus.google.com/114865618166480775623/
*  vita:  *sites.google.com/site/russabbott/
  CS Wiki <http://cs.calstatela.edu/wiki/> and the courses I teach