Owen,

Ask Dede to provide a translation, would you?

Nick

From: Friam [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf Of Owen Densmore
Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 10:16 PM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Isomorphism between computation and philosophy

Nick: its simple.  I married her.  Just after explaining Godel to the
philosophy department, and to her Ex who promptly left philosophy and became
a cardio doctor.  True.

In terms of the Halting problem, is Wikipedia too formal?  The first two
paragraphs:

In computability theory, the halting problem can be stated as follows:
"Given a description of an arbitrary computer program, decide whether the
program finishes running or continues to run forever". This is equivalent to
the problem of deciding, given a program and an input, whether the program
will eventually halt when run with that input, or will run forever.

Alan Turing proved in 1936 that a general algorithm to solve the halting
problem for all possible program-input pairs cannot exist. A key part of the
proof was a mathematical definition of a computer and program, what became
known as a Turing machine; the halting problem is undecidable over Turing
machines. It is one of the first examples of a decision problem.

Did you find that foreign?  Dede doesn't.

But then she lived in Silly Valley for 20+ years .. its in the air there.
She thinks math is sexy .. well, hmm, that I am and she puts up with the
math.

Don't forget I invited you to viewing and discussing Michael Sendel's
Justice and you never antied up.  I think its time you read up on
computation theory or discrete math, your choice.  You'd love it.

We've all jumped into your seminars and read your stuff.  Your turn.

   -- Owen