Astra Taylor writes:

``Those women who do fight their way into the industry often end up
leaving -- their attrition rate is 56%, or double that of men -- and
sexism is a big part of what pushes them out. “I no longer touch code
because I couldn't deal with the constant dismissing and undermining of
even my most basic work by the ‘brogramming’ gulag I worked for,” wrote
one woman in a roundup of answers to the question: Why there are so few
female engineers?''

Women form cliques too.  I'm all for prohibiting all of this (coalition
formation and politics) from the work place, but that's not likely to
happen.  Make it as taboo as sexual harassment.  Some people believe
that this is all part of what gives a team good morale and
communication.  I think that's nonsense.  A good team is made of people
that are engaged in the technical work, and not each other.

My experience is that, in the world of software engineering, women are
often easier to work with then men.  Often they have better listening
skills and better impulse control -- and so there is less of the Not
Invented Here syndrome which plagues so many projects.  But only so many
`family oriented' people will work 12-16 hour days.

Marcus