“But only so many family oriented' people will work 12-16 hour days.”

This would seem to be the key.  All the value-problems in our society would
seem to be summarized in this one assertion.   If one grants that women are
predisposed by physiology to be more tied to infants that men, and that infants
become childen, and that a family is made up of infants and children and their
parents, and perhaps grandparents, and that, therefore, on average, women are
more likely to be family oriented then men, and that, on average, corporations
don’t give a shit about the maintenance of families, THEN, on average, women
will be paid less than men because, on average, women are less likely to put in
16 hour days (working, or LOOKING like they are working) than men. So if a
manager stereotypes candidates for a raise, he or she is less likely to EXPECT
16 hour days from female employees than from male employees.  This is not to
say that when women do escape the attractors of childbearing and nursing, they
are probably better at putting in 16 hour days as men.   But if we are to get
out of this mess, and if we believe families are important to human individual
and collective well-being, we have to find a way to counter the perverse
incentives that afflict corporate managers.  I think I might start by making it
a crime to work more than 8 hours a day or to suborn the working of more than 8
hours a day.

See you all tomorrow,

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson