Nick writes:

"I just think that the whole project looks like it is based on the idea that we
can analyze, plan, and reform in the societal domain, and I wasn't sure whether
that was your cup of tea?"

It seems to me the job of a politician is to navigate the values of their
constituency and their party.  Together they form or at least admit goals.
The job of a scientist is to learn how systems work, and communicate it in
precise language.   Put them together and one has a sort of constraint or
satisfiability problem.    If one wants to optimize for the maximum economic
return from fossil fuel use, then one can look at the best estimates of the
IPCC for what the side-effects of that would likely be.   Are they survivable,
for the relevant people, and not too expensive within a relevant time window?
Similarly, if one wants to have equal distribution of wealth, one set of social
norms or another, social science can offer a set of constraints to put into a
calculation.   If the constraint problem can't be satisfied, then either the
model is inadequate or the goals are not responsible.    If completely
different goals can be satisfied with different cost structures, then it is no
bu
 siness of social scientists, wearing their scientist hat, which goal to
pursue.  To say one is a conservative or a leftist suggests which types of
goals will be sought, but it is just a preference so long as either class of
goal in a constraint system could be satisfied.   Like anyone, a scientist can
have those preferences and pursue them passionately, ruthlessly, or whatever.
But the worst thing is for a person whose profession it is to get to the fact
of the matter, not to know if they are lying.

Marcus