"We went to dinner at a friend's place on the 4th.  I explained how happy my
oncologist and my research nurse were that a few of my periaortic lymph nodes
had shrunk by a miniscule amount between the last scan (6 months ago) and this
latest one.  And I (again) floated my skepticism, which is based on the fact
that they only measured in 2 dimensions ... yet my thorax is a 3D object.  And,
thank the gods, I've gained all the weight I lost during my chemo.  So, it
seems completely reasonable that a 2D projection of a 3D object may not take
into account any rotation or compression due to, e.g. an increase in visceral
fat."

In observing a few neurologists, it doesn't seem common yet to do automated 3D
reconstructions or  isolate spatial anomalies with boundary inference
techniques.   They just step through the slices.  Or in your case, one of them.
    I guess they get used to doing it one way, develop protocols around it, and
they tend to stick around a long time.

I think your thorax is at least a 4D object!   (Enter a dozen e-mails on what
an "object" really is or is not..)

Marcus