"I want to warn you all (speaking of 3d modeling) that I have been for years
(as Steve G. will testify)  trying to get somebody to do 3D visualizations of
the interaction of air masses, particularly in the region around and just east
of the Sangres, where cold dry Canadian air masses slosh down the front range
to be overlapped by warm moist air masses from the Gulf and hot dry air masses
from the desert SW.  It is here that the atmospheric layers are often generated
that are the conditions for severe weather further east.
The need is great for this visualization because many people who ought to know
better are confused about this layering.  I think I might even know of some
people at NOAA who would help.  Unfortunately, I have nothing to offer in
return but my love and the promise of the enduring gratitude of TV weather
people all over the Midwest who don't seem to understand the concept of a
conditionally unstable atmosphere.  "

NOAA folks might have access to supercomputers, and appropriate codes, but if
not there's..

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/research/viewSubmitAProposal.do

Special consideration will be given to proposals addressing climate change,
such as:

    Climate and meteorology: climate modeling, severe weather warning
    Climate change adaptation: sea level modeling, improving crop or livestock
yields and resilience, watershed modeling
    Climate change mitigation: renewable energy modeling, renewable energy
materials research

Also there are experts in the area..

http://climatemodeling.science.energy.gov/presentations