From: Friam [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf Of glen
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2015 1:10 PM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam@redfish.com>
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Good climate change skeptics

On 09/23/2015 11:38 AM, Marcus Daniels wrote:
> As long as they can be held in solitary confinement, and prevented  from
> organizing, they can have all of the "moderation" they want!  But if as they
> have organized, then those who have seen the consequences of that
> organization and don't much like it, must also organize.  Such is the way of
> power and politics.

Several groups are organizing in response: the moderation management groups
(http://www.moderation.org/), an apparent minority of addiction researchers
working to overturn the "disease model", Sam Harris and fans clustering around
the horrible concept of spirituality without religion, methodological
ritualists (e.g. yoga or meditation), etc.

And as much as I agree with your dialectical position of opposite organizing, I
maintain that the deeper problem is the inherent commitment involved.  Power
and politics are not really about organizing opposites.  It's about steadily
punching (small) holes in the convictions of the arlready organized.  We see
this practically in someone like Bernie Sanders, a career politician if there
ever was such a thing.  But he can self-consistently deny that he's a "career
politician" by citing his anti-authoritarian hole-punching.  Another example
might be the hidden powerful in the beltway... the people who would rule us
completely if we installed term limits on all elected offices.  Those people
don't organize, at least not dialectically, so much as they navigate whatever
constellation of agents and objects exist at any given time ... the skill is to
flip-flop (abandon commitments) when the landscape suggests it's right to
flip-flop.  (thank Ct hulhu).

--
⇔ glen