I completely disagree.  It seems to me that fear causes people to dig
themselves further into their convictions ... or even to create convictions
that were, up to that point, just tendencies.  It's relatively easy to imagine
that's the case with modern racists.  Up to the point of being challenged, they
may not think anything explicitly racist, just have a general tendency to
associate with those that look/talk like themselves.  But when faced with some
pressure like fear, their implicit racism may snap into an explicit one.

The way _out_ of such fear-induced convictions is to weasel your way into their
world and poke a bunch of little holes in it, then step back and watch them
slowly evolve out of their commitment.

It's very difficult for people to learn how to change their mind (aka
flip-flopping), even when faced with contradictory evidence.  And I'll take
that opinion to my grave. //*