YES, Well good ol'fation HTML with CSS has worked since the lasted from 70s
to present.
With Linx.
I haven't a clue if it's a over complicated thing or just right tool for
the job thing, it might be a little of both.
Sufficed to say they they're strength is making a a few pages with a
template. The challenge the ones i know of run into is folder management.
Updating them is sometimes a slight issue,

Ever mis place a file?, or lots of them?
 Suffice to say say that's something that Wordpress tries to avoid by
encouraging you to upload your stuff, make a draft, a copy, then update but
it's all a matter of taste ^_^