Is generator the right word?
It sounds like you want a system to manage files and folders, is that
right?

For what-what-it's-worth. HTML templates is a fine way to start.
historically wordpress, drupal and the like were popular because, they just
worked.. Though I'd say the same about good ol fation HTML.

And also "right tool fer the job!"-Scotty and basically every pragmatist
ever.

I'm concerned this is becoming a rabbit hole for you.On the one hand you're
justifiably frustrated backspace went poof, on the other hand your
fidgeting with technologies, and doodads that are basicaly in beta and
sometimes work and others don't.

 I have a pretty clear picture that won't end well, and you'll be sitting
at a pub with some mead or beer or mumbling about why is this way to
complicated everything sucks.

>From what I gather when you started this thread you wanted to get
backspaces(webpage) going, and basically have a way to blog and talk about
cool things. That's cool and very much needed these days
Or am I wrong?
I'm a little confused now because you on one hand say you want a
weby-helper, on the other say they all suck and I'ma make my own, while at
the same time raving about folder'n File helpers, espousing the virtues of
markdown. Grubber might be amused.

By all meens try to make a better content maker as a hobby. Just don't let
it irk you, tinker while it's fun, then stop and surface.
How wever for backspaces(webywebysite) any ideas what would be good
enough?^_^  It might be good enough to have a file and folder manager, and
just use good ol fation HTML.
There's a bunch of those from Kompozer to Htmly, and Sea Monky's Composer
System , to Raptor probably lots of others such as Ubruco(however that's
spelled) and Sympyany wich at one time was used by some big names such as
Wired.,
 It might not be your taste though.