I have no idea how they formatted it; and I suspect the graphics were like
ANSI.  But I was using this monstrosity in the early '80s:

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minitel

I experienced my first virtual crush on a chatter named Anastasia... at that
age, the name, itself was enough. 8^)  Prior to that it was all BBSes, with
their various underlying formatting tools.  It all came flooding back when I
stumbled across http://telehack.com/