From: Friam [friam-boun...@redfish.com] on behalf of Nick Thompson
[nickthomp...@earthlink.net]
Sent: Saturday, February 20, 2016 3:33 PM
To: 'The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group'
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Subjectivity and intimacy

John,

What I used to say, when you knew me back at Clark, is that MY consciousness
is the slice that is cut through the world by MY behavior.  This is the New
Realist view, laid out by Holt in the early 20th century.  A slightly
different way of saying this is that I am just (= am exactly, and only) a
point from which the world is seen.  You remember "I am an extentionless
dot."  It's laid out in the paper I attached.

Since coming to Santa Fe, I have come more under the influence of Peirce.
For Peirce, everything that is real arises from the stream of human
experience.  Each of us parses that stream into subject and object through
processes of inference.  What is subjective, on this account, is just as
much a cognitive achievement as what is objective.  What we take to be
"inner" is just features of our stream of experience that do not necessarily
coincide with the reported experience of others or future experiences of our
own.  Dreams and hallucinations are experiences that don't, in the long run,
pan out.  My private world is just those parts of my experience that, in
some sense, move with me.

I am sorry.  Those sentences only an author's mother could love.  Best a
toothache and hydrocodone would allow.

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson
Clark University