Glen -

I am a Mozilla/Tbird Man myself but am used to many people clinging to very oldschool text-only (or worse?) mail tools. I also don't have any trouble sorting the complexity of comment/response/inlining/inclusion in my head for the most part, but that is how my head works... I think that is excruciating unto impossible for some.

I do acknowledge/agree-to your description of the experience of "to want" vs "to be wanting"... I personally mostly *want* what I want but I also know the feeling of *to be wanting*. It isn't a simple question of expression... it is a deeper experience of association/dissociation and intention IMO.

Your example of the co-worker distancing himself from the responsibilty/agency of "breaking" something is a red herring in this case (I think)... it may be related, but not directly?

I agree that there is a distancing/abstraction from the itch as you put it, but at least in my own case, expressing it as "I am wanting" rather than "I want" is intentional and an attempt to be more responsible or precise about what I mean.

I suppose, a difference between "I want" and "I am wanting" involves actionability. If I tell you "I want" something, you should be put on notice that I am likely to take action to pursue acquiring/achieving the subject of that wanting. But if I say "I am wanting", you can take some solace (or not) in knowing that I have not internalized that "wanting" into any formulated action. In the language of the 10 commandments, it is the subtle distinction between finding your house or wife attractive/compelling/desireable and actually finding myself making plans to move in and shag her first chance I get. Yahweh didn't have PowerPoint and a numerically controlled stone chisel to put in these subtleties with sub-bullet points? Or were those tablets clay, suggesting a 3d deposition printer instead?

In the case at hand (Nick's want or wanting), I would say he is not asking anyone specifically to take action, to find or create the toolset he is seeking, he is just speculating out loud and probably *hoping* such things already exist or perhaps someone else actually *wants* the toolset enough to create it.

Have I split the dead horse hair enough yet? I am wanting to know (but don't feel compelled to tell me)!

<gurgle>

- Steve