Tom -

Sugar is the "fuel" for the symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast (SCOBY) that metabolizes into mostly acetic acid (vinegar) and alcohol with small residual amounts of sugar (if you stop the brew early). The macrobiotics are presumed to keep a healthy/happy gut flora/fauna and keep the immune system stimulated.

My experience with my own brew so far is that pure (cane) sugar is preferred because it is most predictable... I think honey and fruit juices are *least* preferred because of the unpredictability (from other yeast/bacteria contamination). I haven't really experimented with my brewing methods enough to know. Many choose to add Ginger, Honey, Fruit Juice *after* the brew for enhanced flavor. I prefer mine straight up, it isn't a bad beer (sans significant alcohol) for me.

Stevia (as you probably know) is just a hyper-sweet substance that fools the taste-buds but not the metabolism of humans nor SCOBYs.

Meanwhile... I applaud your trying to help groom the legislative and public discourse properties of our fine city as I do those who are trying to groom the social/consumerist culture away from obviously harmful things like high-sugar drinks and foodstuffs.

- Steve
-
Steve:
Have you looked into Stevia?
http://www.webmd.com/diet/stevia-sugar-substitutes#1-2

TJ

Tom Johnson
Institute for Analytic Journalism --     Santa Fe, NM USA
505.577.6482(c)           505.473.9646(h)
Society of Professional Journalists <http://www.spj.org>
*Check out It's The People's Data <https://www.facebook.com/pages/Its-The-Peoples-Data/1599854626919671>* http://www.jtjohnson.com <http://www.jtjohnson.com/> t...@jtjohnson.com <mailto:t...@jtjohnson.com>