From: Friam <friam-boun...@redfish.com> On Behalf Of u?l? ?>$
Sent: Monday, November 1, 2021 4:20 PM
To: friam@redfish.com
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] lurking

Literal self-awareness is possible. The flaw in your argument is that "self" is
ambiguous in the way you're using it. It's not ambiguous

[NST===>I guess I need to understand your usage.  <===nst]

in the way me or Marcus intend it.

You can see this nicely if you elide

[NST===>i.e., “remove”?<===nst]

 "know" from your argument.  We know nothing. [NST===> I can agree, for some
values of the word, that we know nothing, but isn’t that  the same world in
which we sense nothing?  <===nst]

The machine knows nothing. Just don't use the word "know" or the concept it
references.  There need not be a model involved, either, only sensors and
things to be sensed.

[NST===>So, your antipathy for behaviorism not withstanding,  this feels like a
hyper behaviorist position you are adopting.  Way beyond mine.  Let’s talk
about that toy which involves a hand that comes out and turns off the switch
that governs it.  This is a loop, right?  Is there sensing going on here?
<===nst]

Self-sensing means there is a feedback loop between the sensor and the thing it
senses. So, the sensor measures the sensed and the sensed measures the sensor.
That is self-awareness. There's no need for any of the psychological hooha you
often object to. There's no need for privileged information *except* that there
has to be a loop. If anything is privileged, it's the causal loop.[NST===>Well,
I would start with the regulatory loop.  <===nst]

The real trick is composing multiple self-self loops into something resembling
what we call a conscious agent. We can get to the uncanny valley with regular
old self-sensing control theory and robotics. Getting beyond the valley is
difficult:

[NST===>Oh, getting into the uncanny territory is no problem.  Practically
anything that stands up on its hind legs (or wheels) and looks us in the eye is
uncanny.  But uncanniness doesn’t tell us anything about the circuitry we are
looking at, does it?  It might tell us something about our circuitry. <===nst]

https://youtu.be/D8_VmWWRJgE A similar demonstration is here:
<https://youtu.be/7ncDPoa_n-8> https://youtu.be/7ncDPoa_n-8

--

"Better to be slapped with the truth than kissed with a lie."

☤>$ uǝlƃ

FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv

Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn UTC-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam

FRIAM-COMIC  <http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/> http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/

archives:

5/2017 thru present  <https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/>
https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/