I'm still attracted to Rosen's closure to efficient cause. Your flashlight
example is classified as non-agent (or non-living ... tomayto tomahto) because
the efficient cause is open. Now, attach sensor and effector to the flashlight
so that it can flick it*self* on when it gets dark and off when it gets bright,
then that (partially) closes it. Maybe we merely kicked the can down the road a
bit. But then we can talk about decoupling and hierarchies of scale. From the
armchair, there is no such thing as a (pure) agent just like there is no such
thing as free will. But for practical purposes, you can draw the boundary
somewhere and call it a day.