Maybe I am conscious. I cannot help but notice a perverse smile forming
over my face when I consider that a program is not conscious because it
does what I tell it to do and that a cat is not because it refuses to play
my game. I suspect that Michael Jordan was not when he was fully in the
world, dominating his sport, and that the critic is conscious because they
sit outside of it all and judge.

The recent Wes Anderson film "Asteroid City" offered probably my favorite
characterization of this dichotomy. In the film, two different camps arrive
in the middle of the desert--the Stargazers and the Space Cadets. Each type
clearly has its degree, its savants and its remedials, but  each absolutely
their own special kind. One father character arrives with his son and
triplet daughters. The father makes many attempts to resolve these
questions of awareness wrt his children throughout the film. The son--with
whom he most relates--is clearly outside of it all, therefore conscious.
The daughters (likely the greatest representation of Moirai I have seen in
film) engage in a continuous and unselfconscious display of ritual making
and determination of destiny. They are therefore not conscious. Pretty
entertaining stuff.

I was hoping to write more on type theory, Bergsonism, and the
impossibility of presenting a randomly drawn real number. I suppose I will
have to wait for those thoughts to settle into something I can offer.
https://bit.ly/virtualfriam