On 03/19/2017 11:11 PM, Kurt Pagani wrote:
> I'm still experimenting. Unfortunately pandoc cannot handle several essential
> constructs like \newenvironment, \def etc.,
> so it's no wonder you can't see much in the generated rst file :(
> As I remarked earlier we have to create a new style file for rst output
> (replacing fricas.sty by fricasrst.sty for example).

I'm sure that I'll be able to produce something that is not so
complicated. Perhaps that requires some simple transformations in the
.tex input where I have used tricks with \catcode. As far as I remember,
that all lives in \spad... commands. And parsing arguments of those
commands should be easy.

> Also see: https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/987

Oh, having no \newenvironment is probably bad for pandoc, but I don't
think, it is too restricting for our purpose.

> Here's a sample what I got so far ... poor, yet I'm still confident :)
> https://github.com/nilqed/fricas_input/blob/master/htex2rst/tex/book.rst

That's pretty amazing already. You're much farther then I am.
Interestingly, you even must have replaced

https://github.com/hemmecke/fricas/blob/mathjax/src/doc/htex2input.awk#L6

print ")set output tex on"

by

print ")set output mathjax on"

Anyway, maybe it makes sense to (re)write the filter spool2tex.awk so
that it replaces all non-standard environments/commands by something
that pandoc understands. That should be much easier than parsing all of
LaTeX or tweaking pandoc.

My problem with doing this is that I don't yet have a clear idea what
kind of LaTex I should actually generate so that the pandoc
transformation into .rst then yields something that sphinx then puts
into a nice html. I'm not even sure whether as the first iteration it
would be more appropriate to use pandoc directly to go to HTML.

Ralf

PS: Kurt, can you send me the command line (or all the commands that
you've used to produce
https://github.com/nilqed/fricas_input/blob/master/htex2rst/tex/book.rst?
Or was this mostly manual trial and error?