Greetings again,

Thomas Lunde wrote:

> As to virtual profits earned by speculation,

I have debunked this misconception on prior occasions. Trading in
futures, options, and other leveraged instruments (which is the usual
method of determining just who are speculators in financial markets) is
a zero sum game. Losses and profits net out.

> when times are good, they
> reinvest and do not declare any profits

Also have corrected this before: In the US at least, re-investment of
winnings has no effect on their taxability.

> and when they lose, they claim their
> loses and do not pay any taxes or greatly reduced taxes.

Trading & investment losses are limited to US$ 3,000/tax year as
deductions from taxable income (not from taxes themselves). Remaining
losses can be rolled over to subsequent years.

>  One of the
> thoughts I had was that labour should have the same option.  If I get laid
> off a good paying job and take a lesser paying job, why can I not deduct my
> loss of income as a valid income loss just like business and speculators do?

A lesser gain is not the same as an outright loss. It is more akin to an
'opportunity loss'. I agree that it can be painful; progressive tax
brackets could in theory ameliorate this to some extent.

Regards,
Steve