Microsoft Timeline
   Business @ the Speed of Thought
   Remarks by Bill Gates
   Georgetown University School of Business
   March 24, 1999

   QUESTION: During the course of the presentation, you mentioned job
   reduction a number of times. While, as business students, we can all
   appreciate what that means for the bottom line, have you put any
   thought into what it means for society as a whole?

   MR. GATES: Well, part of the lesson of economics is that there are
   infinite demands for jobs out there, as long as you want class sizes
   to be smaller, or entertainment services to be better, there's not a
   lump of labor where there's a finite demand for a certain number of
   jobs. And so, as efficiency changes, such as in food production, the
   jobs shifted to manufacturing. As efficiencies were gained there,
   those jobs moved into services. In fact, there's no shortage of things
   that can be done. So, it's not like we're going to run out of jobs
   here.

Tom Walker