Tom Walker quoted
>   MR. GATES: Well, part of the lesson of economics is that there are
>   infinite demands for jobs out there, as long as you want class sizes
>   to be smaller, or entertainment services to be better, there's not a
>   lump of labor where there's a finite demand for a certain number of
>   jobs. And so, as efficiency changes, such as in food production, the
>   jobs shifted to manufacturing. As efficiencies were gained there,
>   those jobs moved into services. In fact, there's no shortage of things
>   that can be done. So, it's not like we're going to run out of jobs here.
Yes, indeed the "qualities" of M$ products are maximising the amount of work
for PC supporters, network administrators, technical writers (vast manuals!),
PC course teachers, hardware manufacturers (HW "arms race" to cope with the
SW's resource wasting), and most of all, "end users".  How all this _surplus_
work (that would be UNnecessary with decent software) should be _paid_, is a
different question (especially for the "end users"!), and this question
doesn't seem to bother Mr. Gates (as in the quote above).

The statement that "there's no shortage of things that can be done" is
trivial and quite crucial in the field of environmental work, but the
"multi-million dollar question" is always:  How can it be funded ?

How sad that all the billions that are being wasted for inefficient M$
products and its bugs/viruses/crashes  are lacking in environmental work
that would be so much more urgent.

Chris

"The problem (and the genius) regarding Microsoft's products is bloat.
 Microsoft's penchant for producing overweight code is not an accident.
 It's the business model for the company ... While [bloatware has] made
 Bill Gates the world's richest guy, it's made life miserable for people
 who have to use these computers and expect them to run without crashing
 or dying."                                  -- John Dvorak, PC Magazine