A community is about people.  People perform many functions than just the
one at hand.  Some years ago I consciously continued to go to the full
service station near our house, paying a slightly higher price for gas.  The
person who pumped the gas was another pair of eyes and ears in the
community.  Whether he fully realized or not he scanned the sidewalk and
street while he did his duties and if a senior was in distress or a lost
child appeared he could do something. He also kept a wary eye out for the
odd drunk that hung around the nearby liquour store.  He provided an
external benefit to the community.  The stuff he did beyond the task at hand
was a public good.  Since I believe in community I thought I should support
this public good.

Well, you know how this story goes.  Shell gas stations felt he wasn't
selling enough, they yanked his lease, he became the manager of a large high
volume self service station in the burbs and last I heard he died of a heart
attack (or was it heart break).  He was a shy man, but in the structured
environmnet of the station he had a clear role and provided many services,
some that he may not have fully appreciated.  BTW his old station is now a
parking lot.

So when all of you are pumping your own gas (sometimes getting grease on
your clothes, and forgetting or neglecting to check under the hood)   think
of the private and public loss as you amble up to the bullet proof cage to
pay your bill to someone who wants you to pay and move on as quickly as
possible.  Sure there are often gains in time, but there also losses--- all
too often we overlook the myriad losses in our quest for private efficiency.

arthur cordell