Christoph Reuss wrote:
> Few victims want to admit that they are being victimized,
> especially if they have been brainwashed all their life,

True. And who is going to decide who is the one who has really
been "brainwashed all their life"? Do we represent the vanguard,
saving the benighted masses from their false consciousness -- the
fruit of the awful fate of not having been born in a rich, liberal,
post-Christian "democracy"?

Christoph Reuss wrote:
> Lawry, you have completely missed my point:  That there's much
> more to social science than simply asking victims whether
> they _feel_ victimized.

That's for sure. Was the discussion about social science, or about
what the women want? Do people's desires -- conscious and simple,
or unconscious and complex -- count for something in social
science? How does social science assess (true) desire?

> That's like asking a SUV driver whether he feels safe, and when
> Bubba says Yea, then conclude that SUVs _are_ safe.

Whether or not SUVs are safe is a matter of empirical fact (or
falsehood), not a matter of Bubba's opinion or feeling.

Whether or not a woman feels comfortable wearing a burqa, and
whether or not she prefers it, and whether or not she feels
herself to be a part of the entire cultural context and ethos
associated with said burqa, IS a matter of HER "opinion", and
(more important) the collective opinion that arises out of said
cultural milieux of which she is and desires to be a part -- and
not that of the exponents of liberal democracy and presumptuous
"human rights". (See, by the way, Jim Kalb's very interesting
human rights critique page at http://www.rightsreform.net; also,
see generally Kalb's http://www.counterrevolution.net)

I said "opinion" in quotation marks because, as you correctly
point out, it probably is not a simple matter of asking, as per a
public opinion poll. It IS however a matter of her personal
resonance with that cultural milieux and with her experience of
her place within it, and with her FELT desire (not necessarily,
and probably not, intellectually calculated) to be a part of and
perpetuate that culture -- not unlike the situation with
individuals in their cultural circumstances all over the world,
including some very very close to you, Chris. It may not be
something that she can articulate clearly. But the fact that she
cannot articulate her "opinion" clearly ("clearly" meaning
explicitly, in a fashion that can be easily communicated to a
stranger), IF she cannot articulate it clearly, does not mean that
her "opinion" -- or rather her entire life experience and personal
identification with her culture -- is less valid or meaningful, or
that it is the result of mere "brainwashing", as you (insultingly)
imply.

In fact, I would suggest that her inability to articulate her
desires in a check-the-box poll-answering style would tend to
correlate *more* with validity and meaningfulness, in terms of
what is important to her as a human in cultural relation with
other humans. If she can express her desires on a canned
ballot-sheet, or in response to the direct questioning of a
stranger, so much the more reason to suspect the authenticity and
human fullness of her expressions.

It seems that Americans are very good at articulating what they
want, but that this seldom correlates well (if at all) with what
they *really* want, on those occasions when it becomes evident
what they really want. Perhaps that is to be expected of victims
who do not want to admit that they are being victimized, and find
it difficult to do so since they have been so aggressively
brainwashed all their lives. Perhaps the Afghanistanis, or the
whole Muslim world, could organize a cultural relief mission to
the U.S., designed to offer alienated and wealth-obsessed
Americans some hope of restoring their souls.

Alan