Brian wrote:

Harry,
My multiple choice test is exactly what I saw you offering the dying
orphans of Africa. Stephen Lewis chooses to enter the heart of darkness.
You choose to sit and play armchair quarterback with your 60"
entertainment system.
Yours is the virtual reality.

The quality of mercy is not strained...

Take care,
Brian
Brian,

I offered the dying orphans of Africa nothing - and neither did you.

Nor did the enormously costly but ineffectual AIDS Program.

Stephen Lewis can do nothing to save them either.

But, as the population of Africa continues to soar, there will be plenty more orphans to weep over. However, weeping won't help them. Making their deaths easier is worthwhile, until the job becomes overwhelming. Then, there will be nothing.

The real issue is - how do we stop it? Remember that? How do we stop it?

Give out condoms? How unreal is that? Remember Stephen's prostitutes - earning $7 from the trick with a condom - without a condom 50% more. Guess what they choose. Guess what the men choose when they get home to their wives.

Yet, in your academic eyrie you think you are not in virtual reality. Send $20 to Stephen and feel a little warm in your heart. He will need another $20 soon for the next input of orphans to fill the empty beds of those who have gone. And another $20, and another $20.

Maybe you were looking, but not seeing. More than $92 billion dollars has been spent on the AIDS Program and they haven't cured anyone. Dare we even think, just for a moment, that they may not have a solution to AIDS? Worse, dare we even consider that the way they are going, they may never find a solution?

Not to worry! Just have your checkbook ready every year. You realists are needed.

Meantime, check out Keith's two posts. He doesn't agree with me at all - but he speaks to the point.

You should try it.

Harry

Harry Pollard
Henry George School of LA