Ed, we got into the mess in Vietnam with much the same reasoning: if we
admitted a mistake we wouldn't look good. But in reality, we only got to
look far worse, than if we had simply said, say in 1965, 'Okay, we've done
our bit. We're out of here." No one will complain if we leave Iraq tomorrow.
Only those who would cheerfully see us bogged down there will regret it.

The idea that the US can bring democracy anywhere at the point of a gun is,
I think, silly.  We Americans don't like to admit it, but we did invade
Iraq, and remain there solely by force of arms.  The Iraqis have been around
for a lot longer than we, and will do quite well without us. We did a good
deed in getting rid of Saddam Hussein (regardless of the basic matter of our
illegal action in invading Iraq to begin with), and now it is time for us to
take a (small) bow, and get out. We have already overstayed our welcome.

Cheers,
Lawry