Lawrence DeBivort wrote:
Brad said:

I was wondering yesterday whether what we're seeing in Iraq is
glass half-full or glas half-empty, i.e., is it a "basically"
stabilized situation with "pockets" of trouble, or is it
already another in the long line of places like "Vietnam" and
"Chechnya", i.e., places where the colonial power is esentially
on the defensive even if there are pockets of "stability"?

Good question, Brad. Iraq is going to get a LOT worse for the US presence there, and for our remaining standing internationally. The Iraqis are learning how to fight back, and their successes, minor to date, will build on each other. In a study of Palestinian violence and the Israeli actions, I concluded that the Israelis had inadvertently created the perfect learning environment for Palestinian resistance. The US presence in Iraq has not created an environment as perfect for the Iraqis, but is close enough.

The only thing the US can do to avoid what lies ahead is to withdraw fully,
now, declaring victory for the deposition of Saddam Hussein and leaving
behind a UN transition assistance role.

To further clarify my question: How much of "our" view of Iraq is being colored by the Bush administration? "Chechnya" sounds bad to us: a hopeless fight fo rthe Russians (irrespective of its "rightness" by any definition). Would Iraq look pretty much as hopeless if the "news" reaching us was coming thru the same filter?

Similarly, how much "better" is the U.S. position in Afghanistan
today than the Russian position at some point before they
decided to pull out?  Are things "really bad" in AFghanistan
but we are just not hearing them described that way or
hearing about them at all?

--

I am not being fecetious or ironic when I think that
the best hope for the U.S. at this point just might be
a takeover by those elements in the military who
realize that Rumsfeld et al. are as big a threat
to the military as to civil society. If I was
an n-star General, and I was sincerely committed
to my country, I would be concerned about
the day coming when the Bush regime told me
to go do something that I not only believed was
morally wrong (it might even be
morally right, for that matter...), but which I would foresee
as very likely leading to a defeat that would essentially
destroy The United States -- or, alternatively, if
I saw the slow accretion of "little things" the
Bush regime is doing as leading to the same
result only

Not with a bang but a whimper.

We can't count on the Democratic Party putting up
a viable alterntaive in 2004.  We may
have a better chance of W$J Republicans
telling Bush and his fellow travellers that
they had become liabilities, if things get much
worse than they are now.

But the generals and the admirals are, I think,
much more immediately affected by the situation,
and perhaps they are astute enough to see that
$2.5 billion lean-and-mean submarines are not
going to be able to get into shallow enough
waters to protect America from rogue states and
global terroism.  Loyalty to country
before self-destructive
obedience to the currently "elected" POTUS
and his Secretary of Defense when they seem
to have gotten themselves into a delusional
or just wilfully blind mental state???

\brad mccormick

--
  Let your light so shine before men,
              that they may see your good works.... (Matt 5:16)

Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (1 Thes 5:21)

<![%THINK;[SGML+APL]]> Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]