Keith Hudson wrote:

[snip]
There is no future unless a powerful new energy technology is developed in the next 20/30 years or so. And this means a far great emphasis on science and on scientific education in schools. The trend towards dumbing down in Western schools must be reversed if there is to be a future for Europe and America. America has got away with it so far because it has been able to recruit te best scientific brains of Europe during the whole of the last century and the best brains of eastern Asian countries in the latter half. As far as the latter are concerned, this trend is already ending because, despite lower salaries (but only for the time being) the best Asian scientists and students in America are now being attracted back to Asia, particularly China. And, of course, China is now able to retain its own home-educated scientists.
[snip]

OK: Let's take this idea really seriously.  Heres' what I
think ti may "dictate" (Yes, that's a non-laissez faire word).

I do not think that going back to any ideal of education
from the past will do the job.

I think we need education that will inspire young persons
to want to solve this problem (and other "showstoppers", if
this is not the only one), and give them the tools to attack
the problem in a focused way.  I don't mean teaching them
today's technical skills that will be obsolete tomorrow,
but teaching them the skills needed to be able scientists,
engineers, etc., but with a mission, not because science
is interesting, etc., although we need to make it interesting, etc.

We need to expend extra effort on helping those who are
failing to succeed to the best of their ability so they
too can contribute.  We need to not let the unfettered market
allocate human and material resources.

I can imagine a ocntinuation of the Bush regime bringing
about some of the bad parts of such a future.  I don't
see any FDR's around, or the party apparatus to support
one if one does appear.

I also believe that one way we can protect persons' civil
liberties in a time we may need to curtail civil liberties
is by including real experience of the liberal arts
(Notice I did not use the word: "instruction", which reduces
everything to a lesson in living in a situation of
instructors and instructees!) -- then persons will
perhaps acquire some desire for real freedom (peer discourse
which shapes itself as persons' daily life situation in
all areas, including work, schol, etc.), and also some ability
to recognize with they don't have it -- like for most even
if not for all, in schol and the workplace ever since anyone
can remember (and nto just since George W took office).

I think there is time to teach both science and technology to
address Keith's concerns, and also for some liberal arts
experience -- if we dump the "crap", among whcih I would
include all forms of interpersonal competition, competition
in sports, competition for grades, etc.

Do we really ahve time and energy to expend struggling
against each other? Is a system which consumes
so much energy to produce energy the best way we can motivate
persons?

\brad mccormick

--
  Let your light so shine before men,
              that they may see your good works.... (Matt 5:16)

Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (1 Thes 5:21)

<![%THINK;[SGML+APL]]> Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]