Selma Singer wrote:
Keith,

Just for the record, I would like to state that there is no absolutely clear
evidence from biology, anthropology, or sociology that states unequivocally
that it is part of human nature to stive for status to the detriment of
others.
[snip]

I don't think we know how much "competitive instinct" "we" have,
and if "we" do have any, probably some persons have more of it
than others.  But prudence seems to me to suggest that we
act "conservatively", and assume there is a fair amount of
competitive spirit "in us".  I don't have the citation at hand,
but Gregory Bateson described some primitive cultures in which
competition was highly prized, and some in which competition
was much disparaged.  The former societies were, if I remember
right, highly unstable; the latter were more "conformist" than
we would like, but they were in no danger of self-destructing.
So the anthroplogical evidence seems to suggest that
low competition societies can be viable.

As for primates, supposedly the bonobos are our closest
relatives, and they are peaceful but have a lot of sex.
Keith: Are you so sure we are not like the bonobos?

I don't think we can eliminate competition from our social
life.  But I think we, certainly in America, "nurture"
it way too much, to the point that persons have no
choice other than to compete (for jobs, etc.), whether
they want to or not.

I am only arguing against interpersonal
competition.  I suggested that we "mobilize" to  *FIGHT*
our natural enemies and the evils we have created
in our social world, e.g., wasteful energy consumption
and pollution.  I don't cry for the moon of some kind of
zombieland (like the movie "The Truman Show" faked up, e.g.),
but for lowering the anxiety/insecurity level of life,
and getting more persons more interested in "beating"
AIDS than in beating the Jets (or the Mets or the Wizards
or the whatevers).

Keith speaks about the buzzards' 1% surplus of energy
input vs energy output.  But if buzzards survive on such
a narow margin, don't they do it in an environment
that reached equilibrium long ago?  Isn't our
environment nowhere near equilibrium?

The 20th
century has been called the century of total war.
WWI, WWII, etc.  Clearly "peaceful" competitive
pursuits did not preserve the peace, unless one considers
the enormous amount of energy (money, etc.) that
went into The Cold War as having been "peace",
whereas had all those resources gone into
what are normally called peaceful pursuits,
our world today might almost be a desirable
kind of utopia.

I'm not an expert, but the social "world" I find
myself living in does not make good sense to me,
and I do try to understand it.

Lke the old cartoon of the two armies facine
each other, and the officer on each side
give the order: "Fire!" --> and the troops on
each side do fire: they each shoot their own officer.
(This is meant here as a metaphor!)

\brad mccormick

----- Original Message ----- From: "Keith Hudson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
[snip]