Keith, you do seem to have a thing about how hunters and gatherers engineered our genes to make us competitive.  In working with aboriginal people in northern Canada, many of whom still hunt and gather, I've found them to be among the most cooperative and caring people I've ever met.  The groups I know something about were traditionally matriachial, and feminine values tended to dominate social behaviour.  As one woman put it, men were considered boys until they were forty and they had to be kept in line!

Hunting and gathering societies developed a variety of responses to their environmental circumstances, depending on what these were.  However, I'd suggest that, in general, small group survival would depend more on cooperative relationships than competitive ones.

Ed