[snip]
Yes, a leisurely discussion would be more preferable in our case. I actually think that you and I share a very great deal more than we appear to differ -- something like 90% agreement, I would guess. But certainly in your case, I don't seem to be able to get my views across as well as I would have hoped in this form of communication.
Keith Hudson, Bath, England,

A large part of this is probably differences in our "imaginative horizons" (different affective valences on words, different asociations to words and phrases and ideas...).

Item: The scientific idea of evolution has very little meaning for
me, except the unpleasant thought that Nature is like a
research lab with an unlimited budget and researchers
who have no ethical committment to anything except
to not lying about the results of an experiment.
"Hey, Angel Joe! Look at this neat tumor I just got
going in this here specimen [living human or animal]!
And, dammit, Joe, dont' you send any asteroids toward my
specimen tank [the earth], because I've got anothere great
idea to try after this one (has to do with infecting
people with civet cat bodily fluids)!"
"Sure, Angel Kay, I won't disturb
your earth -- at least until I'm pretty sure
these mini-black holes I'm working on can wander around
there like a soap bubble a kid might blow, and then just
vanish, instead of sucking up the whole neighborhood...."
"Angel Joe! What the infernal regions' use will that
be?" "Dunno, but it sems worth trying...."

\brad mccormick

--
  Let your light so shine before men,
              that they may see your good works.... (Matt 5:16)

Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (1 Thes 5:21)

<![%THINK;[SGML+APL]]> Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]