A special problem we have in Canada, and I know we're not unique, is the division of responsibilities under our constitution.  The federal government is responsible for some things, the provinces for others.  Too many people at the table to get an easy agreement.  Thank God we have a large voluntary sector that actually does things while our two levels of government wrangle themselves into stalemates!

Ed

----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, December 15, 2003 3:19 PM
Subject: RE: [Futurework] FW Basic Income sites

I agree.  I was too sharp in my response. I apologize.

I think Ed's posting covers why it is affordable.  But we may not be
socially ready for BI.  We are used to taking from the pot but not giving
back.  My fear is that BI will only accentuate taking and not giving.

It may not be a good idea, in my view, since we have yet to
educate/socialize people understand that they are part of society and that
while society is responsible to them with BI, they are also connected to and
involved with society such that they are expected to give back to society.

Blame on too many years of "smash and grab" consumerism/capitalism or
"bowling alone" or what have you.

arthur