Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 1:16 AM
Subject: Re: FULL OF ADMIRATION (was RE: Slightly extended (was Re: [Futurework] David Ricardo, Cavema n Trade vs. Modern Trade

Hi Bob,

At 15:31 15/12/2003 -0500, you wrote:
<<<<
No personal disrespect is intended towards either you, Keith, or Harry, and I will state unequivocally my respect for you both.  If I have written anything that has offended you, I offer my most deepfelt apologies for doing so.

Good gracious! No possible offence taken. You don't owe us any respect -- at least not me. Anybody who can write as you have done in your posting (which is in full below) deserves respect in turn.

Yes, you are quite right. You didn't say so, but I was being over-dramatic. The fact that Harry and I are working class has nothing to do with it. It was a non sequitur argument on my part!

But the fact remains that, in England at least, the state school system is failing badly. As you write here:
<<<<
My view is that the working class has largely been written off in the current neoliberal reforms, despite the rhetoric of equity.  Failure rates and drop out rates are increasing.  The savage inequalities that have injured the working class and minorities still exist.

There are many contributing factors to all this. It is not just the state education system. The wider social and cultural context is at fault, too. I feel, however, that the civil service must take most of the blame (at least in England) because they (that is, the Department of Education) have allowed the standard of state school teachers to decline so badly and so steadily over the years. Half of newly-'qualified' teachers cannot do simple mathematics. Many of them are actually afraid of the subject. Many (if not most) of those teachers in secondary schools who are trying teach physics (to A-level -- pre-university level) have never learned the subject themselves! Many newly-qualified teachers cannot write a decent sentence. Our FW colleague, Christoph Creuss, with whom I disagree very greatly on several economics issues, who has learned English as a Swiss (in a Swiss state school as he reminds us!), can write English better than most English people -- more than 80% of them, I suggest, and equal to most of the remainder. Not only are his sentences constructed properly but each follows the other in a logical straightforward way that doesn't cause me to re-read each paragraph twice or thrice over to try and understand just what the writer is driving at.

I saw a fascinating and very moving Channel 4 programme last night on feral children which is very apposite to what we are discussing and I am hoping to write a little about this in a  separate posting. It very much has to do with brain development in the earliest months and years of the child (for which the teachers and the education authorities are not directly to blame) -- and this is the direction from which I approach educational matters.

I was bitten by the Skinnerian bug when I was a young man. In fact, I became so interested in Skinner's researches that I left chemistry for a couple of years and became the first professional writer of learning programmes in England. But that experience -- and the subsequent failure of programmed learning (except for the very highly motivated) -- taught me that one should not be carried away by ideologies, especially in education, and this has caused me to become very suspicious of the succession of theories that we have seen in the educationalists' world in the last 30 years. It has only been the advent of basic science in the subject in only the last 10 years or so -- mainly from the various neurosciences -- which is now bringing some order and sense to the proceedings.

The neurosciences are also, at last, beginning to marry the respective contributions of environment and genetics in the overall scheme of things. So I will end here with the uncomfortable thought that the 80-odd brain genes that we possess and which the chimp doesn't, and the various (almost infinite) semi-random combinations they make at the point of fertilisation also contribute to the matter. (This is not to mention the 1,000 plus genes that we share with chimps and which are also involved in brain development in the foetus.) And, in an age where technology and an understanding of science is becoming basic to our civilisation, this genetic matter, too, is important and may be contributing to divisiveness.

Keith