Bob,

What a nice letter.

Good to meet you!

The issue is not private or public education, but how to provide better education. In fact, here it is not even that. It is how to provide adequate education.

As I pointed out with my poor arithmetic, six teachers teaching a syllabus to 6 classes would have almost $1.5 to handle the task – at present levels of funding. They could double their salaries and have more than plenty to handle the expenses.

I lived in La Jolla (San Diego) for a few months on arriving from Canada and the kids went to La Jolla High School. La Jolla is about as upscale as you can get (I was lent a house).

The Canadian schooled kids were a year ahead of the local students. I hope this situation is still true of Canadian education. I was sorry to see that Grade 13 was ended in Canadian High Schools.

However “the neighborhood we lived in” didn’t provide a super educational opportunity. It was certainly better than an central city area with gunshots in the night, but the education was no better than fair, I would say.

To provide black kids with a better school opportunity, LA installed wide scale busing of minorities to white suburban schools. It’s probably not always true, but there seemed to be not an increase in minority erudition, but rather a downgrading of the school.

In the course of my job I would visit hundreds of schools across the country. Yet, I remember most the comment from an ultra-liberal teacher friend in the San Fernando Valley – a very active lady in everything. She said of her Junior High:

“I must say I haven’t felt safe in school since busing began.”

And we looked around the segregated campus, for the blacks stayed together and the whites stayed together. Maybe things have changed now.

When the working class are given a proper choice, they vote for vouchers, as was evidenced in a northern state – was it Minnesota? There, minority voters wanted vouchers, much to the annoyance of the teachers’ union – which jealously guards the students against anything that might be better than what they are getting.

Give working people a choice between free education and expensive education and their choice is obvious. I would choose free education every time. Yet, they are trapped into the free education. As I’ve said often, the best thing we could do for American education is to make it voluntary.

The somewhat whiney reply I get to that suggestion is that then kids wouldn’t come to school but would create mischief in the streets.

This seems to imply that schools are simply warehouse to store children during the day where they won’t do any harm.

Secondly, we have separated parent responsibility from their kid’s misdeeds. If their wages were garnisheed to pay for kiddy-damage, perhaps parents would start acting like guardians should act.

On the plus side, if parents make sure the kids attend school, it would follow that if they misbehaved and the teacher kicked them out of class, the parents would be in trouble. So, there would be great incentive to do what isn’t done now – take care of their kids education.

So, why can’t the teacher toss them out now?

Well, there is this $7,000 the district gets for each attending kid. Much of that goes to pay bureaucratic salaries and pensions so there is great incentive to keep a nasty kid in school at all costs – even to providing a separate classroom for the recalcitrants.

I was walking through an upper class district high school with a teacher friend. The principal went by: “Janet, you are doing a great job with the H Group” he said.

The H Group was the recalcitrant class. Janet said: “He has never visited the class. What he means is that there’s been no trouble.”

This was a Tustin, Orange County, high school, where (quite seriously) the working class cannot afford to live. They travel for an hour or two out to their homes in San Bernardino County and beyond.

Ask them whether they want to pay for their kids’ education or get it free and they will choose the obvious. If they can get financial help to go private, that’s a different matter. The minority parents who care about their kids’ education seem to choose it.

Incidentally, there was a program of voluntary busing in LA. Minority parents who cared, would get their kids to school and support their education. Then came cut-backs in the busing program. Guess which program was cut first? Of course the bastards cut out the voluntary system – the one  bright spot in the busing program.

You said:

“The social capital of the Welfare State, after World War 11, and the ideology of equal opportunity, allowed me to get an education.”

I managed to get a reasonable education in England before the war. Any economist worth his salt – perhaps any social scientist – looks for non-obvious evidence.

With my pre-war education I was reading well at 6 and would sit on the step changing “Tuppenny Bloods” with my friends. We were all poor so we would swap a lot. “Tuppenny Bloods  were “blood and thunder” publications for kids. They were full of war stories, adventure stories, space stories, school stories, and they were called Adventure, Wizard, Champion, Hotspur, and suchlike.

We avidly read about such heroes as the “Wolf of Kabul” a turbaned English adventurer with his Indian buddy whose name I can’t remember. I do remember Click-a-Bar his weapon. It was a cricket bat bound with brass wire which made it a mighty weapon. With it he would crack heads with abandon.

Unbelievably politically incorrect stuff, but it didn’t seem to do us any harm.

Almost no drawings in them – just pages and pages of text.

In 1973, we made our first return trip to England. In Victoria station was a W. H. Smith piled high with newspapers and books – including a selection of “Tuppenny Bloods”.

I picked them up and found – comics. The only text were captions – and simple ones at that.

What does that say about modern English education?

I want neither public, nor private education – I want the best education. To get it, we need competition in education. I want parents to be able to choose better schools over poorer schools for their kids. There is probably no other way to raise standards – which are low.

In the free market competition raises quality and lowers costs. It should be allowed to do the same for education. Unless you have a better idea.

Henry George School of Social Science
of Los Angeles
Box 655  Tujunga  CA  91042
Tel: 818 352-4141  --  Fax: 818 353-2242
http://haledward.home.comcast.net