> Ed Weick wrote:
>> If I read you right Ray, you are still associating BI with work, whether
>> for profit or not for profit.  I can't go there with you.  It sounds a
>> little too much like workfare, essentially grabbing people by the scruff
>> of the neck and making them do the shit work nobody else wants to do

Chris respnded:

> Who will "do the shit work nobody else wants to do" in a BI system ?
> Nobody, I guess.  But it has to be done.  (Not necessarily by workfare
> crews!)  Worse, a lot of "shit work" has to be done that isn't "profitable"
> and thus is not done -- unless paid by the state, but the state can't
> afford that if it has to pay a BI to everyone.

Thomas:  I don't see a BI system as replacing the work for wages system.  I
see the BI system as a support system for a variety of ills.  On a previous
posting, I suggested $10,000 which is about what we Guarantee our Senior
Citizens through government universality pensions

At about $900 a month for Basic Income, there is a strong incentative to get
a job.  You're never going to buy a new house or car on $900 a month.  But
if you got a minimum wage job which brings you in about $1100 gross and
maybe $800 net, all of sudden that shit work becomes worth doing with a BI
supplement.  Now the same thing could be accomplished by raising the minimum
wage to a realistic $12 -14 an hour, but then the cost would fall totally on
those businesses that use minimum wage employees and they would scream -
unfair and I think rightly so.  Plus, it would still leave those with no
jobs dependent on Provincial Welfare which is less than $900 a month and
creates tons of problems and expenses.

But for those who can't find work or for some personal reason do not want to
work at this point in their life, there is a support system that they can
depend on to supply basic needs.  That one would spend their whole life
living on $900 a month is a ridicoulous assumption.

As to the last sentence, I have mentioned in a previous posting that there
is clawback when there is no need through the tax system.

Respectfully,

Thomas Lunde