On 14 Mar 2009 15:34:52 +0000, Thomas Adam wrote:

> 2009/3/14 Mikhael Goikhman <m...@homemail.com>:
>
> [...]
>
> > One of the examples of a pragmatical asciidoc that may be considered is
> > POD (Plain_Old_Documentation article in Wikipadia).  Well, all perl
> > documentation in fvwm is already in POD, and the corresponding html is
> > generated from it.
>
> That's one possibility but very inflexible.  No, we're talking about
> the manpage here -- and I wouldn't want to see POD used as a basis for
> it.  I use POD on a daily basis; it's fine for perl and perl-related
> things, but as a generic markup for plain text for other documentation
> purposes, forget it.

I would never force POD myself although some people write whole books
in it... My point was just to demonstrate two text-based formats of
my choice that are designed to be convertable to HTML and Latex.

> > Another example of asciidoc I use in my non-fvwm related projects is
> > wikitext (Text::WikiText on CPAN to be more specific, maintained by me).
> >
> >> I'm just wary of (excuse my language here) pissing over the people who
> >> put so much effort into the current docbook stuff.
> >
> > Exactly the same feelings.
>
> My webshite (sic) uses txt2tags [1] which has some advantages over
> asciidoc in that the markup is a little simpler, and unlike asciidoc,
> doesn't impose certain restrictions for templates (which expose
> limitations in docbook itself).
>
> I'm going to bite the bullet and after having finalised
> fvwm-convert-2.6 (which is all but done for review -- hopefully by the
> end of this weekend) I will turn my attentions to looking at what we
> might do about the documentation process [2].

I suggest you to show the whole specs before you start this work, and
to get at least the Dominik's approval, so this work is not lost again.

In any case I prefer others to decide on the documentation source format.
For some reason I was under impression Dominik approved the docbook
thingy before it was implemented or at least had no objection to it...

Regards,
Mikhael.