"Thomas Funk" <t.f...@web.de> writes:

> Hi Dan,
>
> I've  been  working  on  it.  I've restructured  the  menu  as  Thomas
> suggested some weeks ago. I am  now at that point how to merge several
> menus to  one (there are often programs  listed in the kde  but not in
> gnome or  debian menu or vice  versa). But it's not  very simple. Also
> some other  parts which the original  fvwm-menu-desktop script doesn't
> bear  in  mind  with  other  distributions.  I've  sent  a  customized
> fvwm-menu-desktop script  weeks ago but  this script isn't  that which
> could be committed anyway.
>
> If anyone can help me to get  an idea how I can implement this merging
> in a good an nice way shout.

The standard way to merge things in perl is stuff them in an associative
array (HASH).   The current script does that all over the place.

I think TA mentioned it was slow.  I don't know if he measured it
or not.

I don't want to stick my fingers in when other people are fooling with
this, but while testing the Fedora 16 issue I made changes to:

read_directory_entry
read_desktop_entry

to only add stuff the the hashes that we actually process later on.
No good HASHing a huge bunch of Comment lines and other junk we don't need.

--
Dan Espen