Dan, I looked at the icon box code in style.c because I wanted to
make it work with changes of the Xinerama state, but the matter is
too complex to write a patch in short time for me.

What I want to do:

 1) Default to using the primary screen for icon box specs
    (already works for X geometry like specs and is easy to do for
    the other syntax).
 2) Recalculate all icon boxes when the Xinerama layout of the
    screen changes (switched on or off).

The difficult part is (2) because all the calculations are done
when the style is defined.  The precise spec string is thrown away
afterwards.  So doing this requires to remove the calculations
from style.c and do them somewhere is icons.c.  Can you take a
look at this, please?  I think this could wait until after 2.4.1.