Olivier Chapuis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 01:18:14PM -0400, Dan Espen wrote:
> > Olivier Chapuis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I've implemented a new color limit method. It goes at follow:
> > >
> > > - At startup if color limitation is needed, a color table is
> > > created (in fact allocated).
> > > Various color tables are tried. The first (best) color table
> > > is chosen: given a color table, the code tries to allocate
> > > all the element of the table, if one allocation fail the
> > > allocated colors are freed and the next table is tested.
> > > The color tables contain 256, 216, 128, 64, 32, 16, 8, 2
> > > colors respectively. The color tables come from imlib2.
> > > I can run my driver with depth 8, I get the 216 color table
> > > (and I can enforce color tables 2, 8, 16 but not the others).
> > > Now I can run fvwm-themes with depth 8 with a not too bad
> > > result. Gradient are no pretty, but to fix this we should
> > > implement a kind of dithering for gradient (dithering for
> > > large pixmap will be good too).
> >
> > If Fvwm allocates 216 colors, that leaves 40 for other
> > purposes.  Thats no good.
> >
> > I've had to use 8 bit color in the past.
> >
> > Any application that takes the approach you have Fvwm taking
> > ruins the color map for everything else.
> So my question is:
> "How I/you can reproduce a problem with the new method?"
> (I do not say this is not possible).

In my current setup, I have a background image limited to
using 48 colors.  With FVWM allocating 216 colors and
48 colors in the background, that leaves no colors for
applications.

I don't know why you aren't seeing a problem.

> The old method reduce colors in the good way only for xpm.  Now I
> think we need to reduce colors for png, tinting and gradient.

I would not expect to be able to use tinting or
gradients on an 8 bit display.

> Moreover, the most important thing concerning colors with a
> pseudo color visual is that color allocation MUST never fail. I
> do not see an other method than this color table method.

To make this work, you'd have to change the X server.

In Windows, they make this work by rebalancing the color map.
When the user allocates a new color, Windows looks at everything on
the screen and adjusts the color map to get as close as possible.

--
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214      Phone: (732) 699-5570