On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 07:57:48AM -0500, Dan Espen wrote:
> Dominik Vogt <fvwm-workers@fvwm.org> writes:
> > I don't think the current site is too bad.  But it has some *very*
> > ugly colour combinations like the pink titles on gray background.
>
> The background should appear more black than gray.
> Perhaps the contrast setting on your monitor is low.
>
> I prefer the stone look to plain black, just to add some
> interest, but I have seen the background appear a pretty light
> gray on some monitors.  It doesn't look that way on mine.

Since I play some computer games that are very dark, I have set
contrast and brightness to the maximum.  I'm not against a
slightly grained background, but as it is it looks like its
nibbling on the text.  The body of the pages looks very cleanis,
but I dislike the page titles (colours and fonts) and specifically
the old fvwm logo - it makes me scream everytime I look at it.
It's simply amateurish.

As much as I dislike frames, the frame-less site we have looks
somewhat like the content is leaking out of the pages.  The text
lines are too long on some pages.

I really like the idea to give the site a 'window' layout with a
title bar and a border (perhaps only on the top and the left):

 +------------------------------------------+ <- screen
 |+----------------------------------------+|
 || News | CVS | <FVWM HOME PAGE> | Themes || <- titlebar with
 |+----------------------------------------+|    - left buttons
 ||                                         |    - right buttons
 || General description                     |    - page title
 ||                                         |
 |+---------------------------------------- |
 ||                                         |
 || Latest News                             |
 ||                                         |
 |+---------------------------------------- |
 ||                                         |
 || Rest of page                            |
 ||                                         |

 ||                                         |
 ||                                         |

Uwe has a button on his site to switch the page theme.  Wouldn't
this make a great interactive show-off of some fvwm features?
There would be a button to cycle through the available themes with
a link to download the theme config to put in your .fvwm2rc :-)

> Does cyan look better than pink?
> Both look good to me, but the cyan looks a little better.
> I'll change it if you like it better.

I don't think it's a matter of colour.

> I think the background has to be either black or white.
> To be readable against a range of colors these are the only 2
> colors that have a chance of working.

Plus some very dark blue, cyan and gray tones and light grays,
close to white.  The contrast between pure black and white is too
extreme.

> I really prefer the dark background since I don't like shining
> a bright light into my eyes.

Me too.