On Wed, 6 Feb 2002 00:05:12 -0500, Bill -OSX- Jones wrote:

>What does cabal really mean, in a Perl perspective?
>
>I know the dictionary/definition:
>
>ca·bal
>n.
>
>1.     A conspiratorial group of plotters or intriguers: “Espionage is
>quite precisely it—a cabal of powerful men, working secretly”
>(Frank Conroy).

Gee. "Secretly"? I would have sworn it would have meant something like
"a noisy gang". At least, "kabaal" in (Flemish) Dutch means a lot of
loud noise. (For those people from Holland: you would call it "herrie".)

BTW my "Dutch dictionary of foreign words" says that the above word (not
the "noise") comes from Hebrew, indicating some sort of secret oral
doctrine only intended for a chosen few. (rough translation by me). I
have no clue where "kabaal" comes from, but it could well share the same
origin. Funny how the meaning of words can turn upside down so
completely.

--
        Bart.