David H. Adler wrote:
> If any of you have read The Perl Review
> (http://www.perl.org/ThePerlReview/), you may have noticed,
> buried in the back, a golf challenge.
>
> To make a long story short, we're looking for someone to be
> our Master of Golf.

I have just read the first edition of The Perl Review (TPR) and
am very impressed! I really hope this magazine achieves the
success it deserves.

I think fwp-ers are the logical choice for just about anything
to do with golf. However, I am desperately trying to curtail my
golfing activities due to protests from the home front, so would
prefer to take a back-seat role on this one.

I don't think a magazine alone is a good vehicle for running a
golf game. No doubt, we will get some feedback on that from how
the TPR first edition golf problem is received.

I like the interactive nature of the fwp golf games with their
periodic scoreboard updates. Moreover, I feel a tight test program
is essential for a serious golf game because it clarifies the
problem semantics better than English can.

I suppose the TPR web site could have a test program to download,
along with a current scoreboard, much like Ton's game at:
 http://a108.bauhuette.haw-hamburg.de/golf/challenge.html
but that is quite a lot of work.

It might even be possible to run jointly sanctioned events --
synchronizing TPR editions with the 4 fwp golf majors of the year,
for instance. Any TPR prizes of T-shirts, caps, etc., of course,
would be gratefully received (by Eugene;-).

BTW, as a (lapsed) bridge player, I enjoy their "Hand of the Year"
articles, and I am eager to write a similar article/s titled
"Golf Play of the Year". Whether that is considered of broad
enough appeal for a magazine like TPR, however, I don't know.
Many other possible stories on Perl golf also spring to mind.

/-\ndrew