I can't recall the exact reason for the appearance of an appliance being
'not grounded' but they really are. Something about the internal
circuitry... and it gets grounded thru the neutral prong on the plug. so
while it may appear that it isn't grounded because the third leg is
missing on the plug, it can still be grounded.

If you check Apple's webpage regarding this recall, they are only
accepting the adapters that qualify via PBook serial # and it doesn't
appear that they will accept any others.

My 2¢ worth...

Kathe
Royal Oak, MI

>Everyone is talking about these adapters being cool - but the problem is the
>ones that Apple is recalling don't have a grounding plug.  Check and see -
>all of the adapters for PPC PowerBooks that I have seen have come with a
>grounding plug somewhere on the plug - and even if this grounding isn't
>transferred to the computer - it could have some function in the adapter's
>circuits.  As far as I recall, it's not safe to use a piece of electronics
>without a proper ground - even laptops.  Perhaps someone on the list knows
>more about this and could elaborate on this for me.
>
>So return your adapter just in case.

 Small Dog Electronics    http://www.smalldog.com | Refurbished Drives |
 -- Enter to win a FREE Titanium G4 PowerBook! -- |  & CDRWs on Sale!  |

Velocity Upgrades - Mac Memory Factory Direct. 128 MB for 9600, 8600,
7600 - $79.99; 64MB for 6500, 6400, 5400 - $39.99; 32 MB for 9600, 8500,
7300 - $24.99 <http://www.backbeatmedia.com/wcgi-bin/velocity.cgi>

Star Trek Collection: Movies 1-7 on VideoCD, $38.88 from CoolVCD
<http://lowendmac.com/ad/coolvcd.html>
- - - - -
List archive:           <http://mail.maclaunch.com/lists/g-books/>

<http://www.applelinks.com>