As best I remember, the battery simply wouldn't charge.  When I put the
machine to sleep or powered down, one or two lights would come on, and then
go out after a bit.  I thought the battery was fully charged, but it hadn't
(only showing 20 minutes or so on battery life when I powered up again).

I reset the Power Manager a bunch, with no difference.  Then I tried the
Battery Reset Utility (or whatever it is called).  This simply drained the
battery to nothing, but didn't help charging.  What I had then was a
completely drained battery and no way to charge it!  I tried an old battery
(one that still charged but didn't hold charge well), and it didn't charge
either (eliminating the battery as the cause).

Then I went off to the shop to get it fixed.

I didn't put a volt meter on the battery, so I don't know what your reading
means.  I also don't know whether voltage drops on these batteries as they
discharge; I guess it must drop in order for the Mac to know how much
battery is left (?).

Good luck,

Rod

  CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>.