5/10/2002 12:26:39 PM, Thomas Ethen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>100's. Now I just need a broken Pismo DVD/CD module, so I can install the
>CD-RW I just purchased in it, so I will have another expansion bay item to
>carry around with  me.

I deliberated over the internal/external peripheral thing, and in the end I
decided that having modular peripherals was more important to me than the
convenience of an internal device; especially since it's not so convenient
when your "internal" device is outside of the machine a substantial part of
the time.  If it's going to be outside of it, it might as well still be connected.
Plus, I'd like for the device to be usable by my desktop PC as well.
It's not like I need to burn CD-RWs when I'm on an airplane, and unlike Zip/LS/etc.
drives, CD-ROM drives are ubiquitous.  So, I ordered an HP 5600SE external SCSI-2
CD-RW (12x8x32) for $116 (shipping included).  But at this point, I'm regretting it
already, and the drive isn't even here yet. =(

I thought that SCSI would be give me the most options and best performance, but
I didn't know about IEEE 1394's Target Disk Mode, which another listmember mentioned
recently.  Now, it looks as though FireWire would have been slightly less expensive...
oh well.  Having been fighting with a USB -> IrDA adapter for a while now, I guess
maybe I should take comfort in the fact that I've bought into a more established bus
type.

  CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>.